Wednesday, May 8, 2013

My aunt Dorian, who died several years ago, was an avid cake, fudge, and pastry maker. She baked the best classic peanut bars. I fondly remember the little white rectangular cakes, coated with thick vanilla frosting before being rolled in a large bowl containing finely chopped peanuts. They were better than the ones from the local bakery. So good, in fact, that when I think about them--my mouth waters, decades later.

One of the secret spices Aunt Dorian always had on hand was Ceylon Cinnamon. I used to think it was called Sail On Sinner-Man. (My mother was a lay-minister and used to preach the gospel every chance she had).

Anyway, Aunt Dorian was an authority on all things relating to desserts. Ceylon Cinnamon is delicate, subtle and sweet. It's a pleasant shade of tan with smooth bark. It's used to enhance the flavor of desserts, fruits and vegetables. I've heard that in ancient times, it was used for embalming.

Ceylon Cinnamon enhances vanilla, chocolate, desserts and entrees. No one can bake a proper apple pie, or sweet potato dish, without adding it to the recipe.

Aunt Dorian once told me, "Ceylon is the only true cinnamon. Cassia is false cinnamon." Thus, reinforcing my original name for it--Sail On Sinner-Man!

No comments:

Post a Comment