Thursday, June 6, 2013

Recipe for Sugar, Cinnamon, Spice, Everything Nice

Quite by accident, I invented this yummy whole grain pancake topping just this morning. I had scraped the very last spoonful of bilberry jam from its glass jar, when I noticed the little
half-empty bottle of Ceylon cinnamon on the counter top. Next to it was a large container of organic sugar, and next to that was a bottle of organic, finely ground black seeds. Hmm . . .

Impulsively, I poured about a quarter cup of sugar into the cinnamon spice jar, then added a little less than one teaspoon full of black seed powder. I replaced the cap, then shook everything vigorously until it was perfectly blended before sprinkling a generous portion on my pancake. Wow! What a flavorable combination.

Black seed is a healthy herb with interesting tasting undertones. I'm finding out that it complements a variety of foods --
from hot Mexican dishes, to sweet savory desserts. I am going to add a spoonful of whole black seeds to my black pepper grinder next and discover the subtle results during dinner tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment